Frequently Accessed Resources
Preneed Calculator (XLSX file. Updated 8/4/2017)
Preneed Recovery Fund Application for Reimbursement
Online Consumer Complaint Form
The Board's Governing Statutes and Rules
Who We Are
The North Carolina Board of Funeral Service is established under the provisions of Chapter 90 of the North Carolina General Statutes. Members of the Board are appointed by the Governor and the General Assembly.
The purpose of the North Carolina Board of Funeral Service is to safeguard the public health, safety, and welfare of North Carolina citizens by ensuring that those individuals and entities licensed for the practice of funeral services in this state are duly qualified.
PreNeed Compliance Reminders and Notes
- Completed 2017 Preneed Annual Reports are due no later than March 31, 2018.
- The 2017 Preneed Annual Reports were mailed to all preneed establishment
licensees during the week of January 22, 2018.
- The instructions and certification sheet for the 2017 Preneed Annual Report were
revised so that certain summary information no longer is required.
- This year, the Board will accept bank and insurance year-end reports showing the fund
balances for preneed contracts as of December 31, 2017, in lieu of requiring licensees to put the
updated balances directly on the Preneed Annual Report.
- On-line filing of the Preneed Annual Report will not be available in 2018 as the Board is in the process of migrating to a new database system.
- Any questions should be directed to the Board’s Preneed Program Assistant, Ms. Lyn Cochrane, at email@example.com.
Updates to Certificate of Death Form
The North Carolina Certificate of Death form has been revised with two new field label changes as shown below:
Field Label #17, previously listed as FATHER'S NAME (First, Middle, Last), is now changed to FATHER/PARENT NAME (First, Middle, Last)/(Last Name Prior to First Marriage)
- Field Label #18, previously listed as MOTHER'S NAME PRIOR TO FIRST MARRIAGE (First, Middle, Last), is now changed to MOTHER/PARENT NAME (First, Middle, Last)/(Last Name Prior to First Marriage)
- The revised death certificate currently is available on DHHS, Division of Public Health, Vital Records’ website (http://vitalrecords.nc.gov/) under the “Funeral Director” tab.
- NC Vital Records has informed local health departments that the updated form must be used no later than March 1, 2018 and previous versions will no longer be accepted thereafter.
Mutual Burial Associations
- Certain mutual burial associations in North Carolina are now defunct for a variety of reasons (e.g. the sponsoring funeral establishment is now closed and/or the Secretary-Treasurer is deceased or otherwise incapacitated.)
- Active mutual burial associations that are interested in receiving the transferred assets of these defunct mutual burial associations are encouraged to contact the Board office.
* * *
* * *